fireplace that “ruined” a historic Brighton resort was possible began by a discarded cigarette, East Sussex Hearth and Rescue Service have mentioned.
Hearth crews had been known as to the Royal Albion Resort on the East Sussex metropolis’s seafront at about 5.30pm on Saturday July 15, battling the blaze which was introduced underneath management by July 17.
Roughly 100 folks had been evacuated from the encompassing space.
A spokesperson from the fireplace service mentioned: “East Sussex Hearth and Rescue Service can verify the fireplace on the Albion Resort in Brighton on 15 July 2023 was unintentional.
“A fireplace investigation has concluded that it was possible began by a discarded cigarette which had not been fully put out.”
Work to demolish the “dangerously unstable” a part of the constructing has been ongoing for the reason that July incident.
On September 29, Brighton and Hove council chief Bella Sankey mentioned: “The constructing is extraordinarily fragile following the fireplace, so the work must be gradual and painstaking.
“We’ve got agreed a method ahead with Historic England to ensure we aren’t eradicating any extra heritage options than completely crucial.”
The 219-bedroom regency-style resort, which overlooks Brighton Pier, was in-built 1826. It’s run by Britannia Resorts.
It’s anticipated Britannia Resorts to cowl the price of the demolition, Ms Sankey added.
A part of the constructing was Grade II-listed by English Heritage and suffered a earlier fireplace in November 1998.