Right here is the state of affairs on Sunday, September 17, 2023.
- Russia and Ukraine have disputed control of the devastated village of Andriivka close to Bakhmut in jap Ukraine. Russia’s defence ministry stated its forces have been nonetheless holding onto Andriivka after Ukraine publicised a video that it stated supplied proof its forces have been in full management of the village.
- Ukraine’s Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar stated the Bakhmut sector was the theatre of “essentially the most lively preventing”. “Offensive motion is continuous south of Bakhmut. Issues are scorching in Klishchiivka and Kurdiumivka,” Maliar stated on Telegram, referring to 2 different villages close to town. “Close to Klishchiivka, on account of offensive motion, our defence forces have had successes.”
- In southern Ukraine, the place Ukrainian troops have been aiming to push to the Sea of Azov, Maliar stated troopers have been “inflicting important losses on the occupiers by way of males and tools”.
- A Russian-installed official in Ukraine’s Donetsk reported intense Ukrainian shelling within the jap area, saying at the very least 5 civilians have been killed and one wounded within the assaults.
- The Russian defence ministry reported thwarting a coordinated Ukrainian assault on the annexed Crimean Peninsula early on Sunday however didn’t say whether or not there was any injury or casualties.
- The ministry additionally stated a Ukrainian drone was destroyed in Moscow’s Istra district early on Sunday. The incident induced the delay of 24 flights within the capital’s airports, based on the state TASS information company.
- United States Military Normal Mark Milley informed reporters that North Korea could possibly enhance Russia’s provide of artillery munitions for the battle in Ukraine however that it’s not more likely to make an enormous distinction. Milley, who was travelling to Norway for NATO conferences that started on Saturday, stated there’s a continued want for extra weapons and tools in Ukraine and that allies and companions will likely be discussing deal with that.
- Norway’s chief of defence stated Russian forces stationed within the Arctic close to the Scandinavian nation have been 20 % or lower than the quantity they have been earlier than the Ukraine battle. Normal Erik Kristoffersen stated the transfer instructed that Russian President President Vladimir Putin is aware of “very nicely” that NATO shouldn’t be a menace to Moscow.
- Poland will ban the entry of passenger vehicles registered in Russia, as a part of sanctions imposed on Moscow and its residents in reference to the battle in Ukraine, state media reported, citing Inside Minister Marius Kaminski.
- North Macedonia ordered the expulsion of three extra Russian diplomats, within the third such transfer since Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
- Within the Czech Republic, 1000’s of protesters rallied in Prague to demand the federal government’s resignation over excessive power costs in addition to its assist for Ukraine.
- Russian-installed authorities in Crimea stated they deliberate to promote about 100 Ukrainian properties, together with one belonging to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The sale contracts amounted to greater than 815 million roubles ($8.51m), an official stated.
- Ukrainian authorities stated two cargo vessels have arrived in its Black Sea port of Chernomorsk to load nearly 20,000 tonnes of wheat sure for African and Asian markets. The 2 ships have been the primary to make use of a short lived hall to sail into Ukraine’s Black Sea ports after Russia deserted a deal to let Kyiv export grain.
- Farmers in Romania requested their authorities to unilaterally ban the import of Ukrainian grain and different meals merchandise, after the European Union decided to lift restrictions on the products. Romania is one among 5 jap EU international locations alongside Bulgaria, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia that noticed a surge of Ukrainian grain imports after Russia’s invasion, which distorted costs in native markets.